[cad-linux] optimisation

  • From: Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:32:15 +0200

Massimiliano Mirra said:     (by the date of Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:56:14 +0200)
> > and agree that some cache for ./viewport-2432 file could be
> > useful. But kernel is caching files - remember that? ;)
>
> I was proposing cache files for large geometries, not viewports; a
> binary cache for a complex geometry *might* be faster to load than a
> text file, even if the text file is cached in memory.

I changed my mind ;) see here:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html

read a part titled:

"Rule of Optimization: Prototype before polishing. Get it working
before you optimize it."

or just serach this page for word "speed".

I think this guy is right. Get it to work first. Then - maybe - we could
think about optimisation.

Computeras are so fast, we should not need to optimise.

But if we get everything to work, and then big projects happen to work
too slow, then we could add some kind of wrapper for reading/writing
files. That will not interact with the whole rest of the program. (maybe
just changing a little kernel parameters that decide on how much cache
memory to use?)

anyway - to have any big projects in our program will be so big success
that I'll not waste time on optimising. I'll rather squash the bugs
(because the are always there ;)

so - optimisation - if any - should be done by some kind of wrapper for
reading/writing files. It should not be in the programs themselves.
(yeah - separate everything possible :))

--
# Janek Kozicki