[cad-linux] Re: viewports parameters in a file?

  • From: Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 03:37:11 +0200

Massimiliano Mirra said:     (by the date of Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:38:36 +0200)

> Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx> writes:
>
> >> So ./viewport is the file describing the viewport metadata, such as
> >> selections and such?
> >
> > as written below - selections are written inside a file. ./viewport file
> > contains only information relative to viewport. Such as coordinates of
> > central point of view, and zoom factor. Or FOV, or anything relevant.
>
> Mmmmh... is it really necessary to store this in a file?  This data
> seems limited to an instance of the viewport; do you envision a
> setting where sharing it would be important and so storing it into a
> file can be an advantage?

I want to reply before I read the rest of your answer.

I understand why you wouldn't like to store this information in a file.
It is specific to current viewport.

So - viewports (and files that describe them) can have numbers to be
distiguished. But then - look at this post:

Re: [cad-linux] converting CAD file format to display-on-screen .dxf

now it is clear why to store this information in separate file?

Still not convinced? ;)

think about one more thing - by simply backing-up / copying somewhere
else a file ./viewport-<PID_NUMBER> you can have a database of useful
views at the drawing you are working on. Belive me, that is _very_
useful. I worked on big projects, and sometimes it was a pain to find
again and again and again the same little circle hidden somwhere in a
hard-to-find deep-zoom place. just to correct its radius. I would store
viewport to that circle - because I know I'll need to modify it a lot of
times during my work.

And if viewports can store information about sections?

man! with such viewports you can just create one (zooming, moving,
sectioning) store it in a file. And then compose a *paper_space* from
all those viewports, and then - print it.

separate *everything* possible is a good way. Even if at the current
stage you have no idea why to separate - it will come in the future.

if that is not convincing - then I give up. and agree that some cache
for ./viewport-2432 file could be useful. But kernel is caching files -
remember that? ;)

--
# Janek Kozicki