[cad-linux] Re: naming problems

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:13:35 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Sonny Damsted Clausen
> on Friday 05 September 2003 10:02 am:

I must have missed a message, so I am replying by proxy:

>>> It seems that the easiest and least confrontational method is to reinvent
>>> your name (can you think of a recursively-defined acronym for viewer?)
>>
>> (strongly disagree) What happens when someone picks that name? Change
>> again? What about if I choose Qcad, PythonCAD, LinuxCAD as a name? Would
>> those projects change their names for me?
>>
>> As far as I know you also can't change your sourceforge project name
>> without registering a new project.

I didn't say to change your name.  I said you should simply reinvent it.  By
this I meant to come up with a formal name that the original name stands for
(does the Lx currently stand for anything?) or to append a qualifier to the
name (which results in a lot of high-falutin'-formality, but does make your
name distinguishable from others with the same name.)

As an example, I am not the only Eric Wilhelm in the world and might not even
be the only Eric Louis Wilhelm in the world.  If it became an issue and I
needed more than the three names to identify myself, I would go by "Eric L.
Wilhelm -- Master of the Known Universe" or maybe just "Eric Wilhelm m.u."
Maybe you should go with Lx-Viewer, Esquire.

Anyway, that is just a suggestion.  If you would rather go for the gusto and
take all of the others to court for a couple trillion, I'm behind that as
well.

--Eric
                                        --Albert Einstein