[cad-linux] Re: naming problems

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 05 Sep 2003 07:38:39 +0100

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 03:08, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> > The following was supposedly scribed by
> > Guy Edwards
> > on Thursday 04 September 2003 03:47 pm:
>
> >Ok whats standard practise for resolving naming issues
> >between projects/commercial companies?
> >
> I believe that OpenOffice.org is the formal name for what was the
> "OpenOffice"
> project because of just such a situation.

That wasn't how I understood it. I think they weren't allowed to TM
OpenOffice as it was a generic term. E.g. Microsoft couldn't TM
"Windows" but they could TM "Windows 2000". TM'ing OpenOffice.org is
much easier.

> It seems that the easiest and least confrontational method is to reinvent
> your
> name (can you think of a recursively-defined acronym for viewer?)

(strongly disagree) What happens when someone picks that name? Change
again? What about if I choose Qcad, PythonCAD, LinuxCAD as a name? Would
those projects change their names for me?

As far as I know you also can't change your sourceforge project name
without registering a new project.

> >What should/can a free project do to copyright its' name?
>
> I'm pretty sure you can only protect it via a registered trademark.  A
> copyright is not going to help much in terms of names (similar to the issue
> that you can't copyright a title.)  Remember I'm not a lawyer (I just play
> one on the internet.)

I think you're right. It appears to be £200 over here to register a TM.
Thats a big lump of cash for a name.

I've sent a very polite email to the SVG Lx-Viewer person and as for the
company I'm getting advice on TM's today as they're here in England. I
don't want to complain to them and have them register the name. Fighting
the TM if they register it costs £200 or so.

Guy
--
Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>