[cad-linux] Re: naming problems

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:08:51 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Guy Edwards
> on Thursday 04 September 2003 03:47 pm:

>Ok whats standard practise for resolving naming issues
>between projects/commercial companies?

I believe that OpenOffice.org is the formal name for what was the "OpenOffice"
project because of just such a situation.

It seems that the easiest and least confrontational method is to reinvent your
name (can you think of a recursively-defined acronym for viewer?)

>What should/can a free project do to copyright its' name?

I'm pretty sure you can only protect it via a registered trademark.  A
copyright is not going to help much in terms of names (similar to the issue
that you can't copyright a title.)  Remember I'm not a lawyer (I just play
one on the internet.)

--Eric