[cad-linux] Re: database cad system

  • From: "Zach Frey" <zach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:28:59 -0700

I'm not a database guru, but I have just enough knowledge to
be slightly dangerous.

>What about binary data?  Can you store a float in the
>table without storing it as a string (and could you match on the binary
>data?)

PostgreSQL has FLOAT as a built-in type, not to mention a number
of geometric data types (POINT, LSEG, PATH, BOX, CIRCLE, POLYGON).
I am not familiar with mySQL, but it almost certainly would have
FLOAT as well.

For basic binary data, look up BLOB (Binary Large OBject) handling
in the database documentation.

>It seems that the real trick here is going to be getting a modeling or
>drafting (or both) package to "play nice" with the sql (maybe via vba, but
>I'd rather steer clear of that route unless it is unavoidable).

It's avoidable.  If you're programming in Perl anyway, DBI is a
perfectly fine way to "play nice" with SQL databases (or even
non-SQL databases).

>Are there any database servers that allow data to be recalculated based on
>other updated data, or do these relationships have to be handled by an
>external program (maybe a change to one field would initiate a call to an
>external process?)

Yes.  What you want is a server-side function and/or trigger.
PostgreSQL gives you a variety of ways (and languages) to do this.
I would be shocked if mySQL didn't have a way to do this as well.

peace,

Zach

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/