[cad-linux] Re: database cad system

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

> What problems are you trying to solve with a database?
>
> CAD information doesn't appear to be a good fit; drawings are
> generally made up of quite complex nested object information - This
> kind of data is hard to cram into a relational database.
>
> A relational database is good for fast searches and random access to
> data - Neither of which are going to be particularly useful here.

as most know, over use or over control of drawing data by a database is one of
my pet peaves.  but, even with the examples i've worked thru doing OpenInventor
i'm starting to understand that even at the level of the smallest cad app some
form of search/query system has to be in place.  Inventor has SoDB just for
this reason.

i'm starting to understand the database junkies we have on this list a little
more as i go along.

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://sbc.yahoo.com