[cad-linux] database cad system

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:16:07 -0500

More of this for anyone that has been missing it:

I've been crazy busy with work and it looks like I will continue this way for
quite some time now but I think I will be working toward the
database-connected cad system on future projects.

Anyone know of a way to drive an sql database from Perl?  I've looked briefly
at a couple of projects, but not in enough detail to really assess their
usability.

It looks like the networked database would be the way to set this up in future
projects, except for the problem that everything graphical is so mired in
autocad and file-based methodology.

I'm planning to look into openCascade in the near future, but the first step
will be getting the perl wrapper for the dwg toolkit released.  The current
project is very much based on the dwg and dxf access provided by this toolkit
(really the best way (for now) to get graphical data into the program (but is
has the drawback that the data has no associativity)).

The programming for this project has been mostly cobbled together (because of
the development schedule), but has shown many of the flaws in the static-file
methodology (as well as some in my perl modules' design).  I think the future
projects will be heading more toward a dynamically-configured networked
database (if for no other reason than to save the effort of repeating the
same code in multiple programs (execution or typing-wise).)

I'd really like to move this process away from the "creative misuse of
software" that it is now, but the complexity of the process and the changes
from one job to another make the creation of very interface-intensive
applications prohibitive.  Maybe openCascade can help-out here?

My work is in automation of custom architectural sheet-metal cladding systems
(so you see why commercial software isn't available).  I'm hoping that what
happens with this in the next few years will have a serious impact on how we
all use software for architectural and mechanical design.

Right now, the system has been working with Pro-E (via trailfiles (really need
a less primitive link to this system)) and AutoCAD.  This allows the people
to make the design decisions and my perl scripts to handle the heavy lifting.

Future systems would do better with an open parametric system, but what to use
for a starting point?  (needs a gui for the people and an open backend for
the perl scripts (possibly via C))

Another goal that we are looking at is full automation of
numerically-controlled equipment (no simple task).  Any suggestions on
libraries or existing projects regarding this would be helpful as well.

I'm set on Perl for the main programming language because of the custom nature
of every job and the short development time.  As things begin to show up
repeatedly, a C-based module (usually tied to an existing library) would be
in order, but this is not easy or quick for me.

I think the main hurdle right now is creating/linking to a good human
interface that can be customized to each job and used to create and modify
associative data (while it is fairly simple (controlling geometry) data, the
lack of associativity creates huge headaches in changes to the design,
sequence, parameters, etc.)

--Eric