[cad-linux] CADAM on Linux!

  • From: "Jeffery C. May" <JeffMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 09 Aug 2003 18:16:38 -0400

Ten years ago I was a student at Georgia Tech and a co-op at
Kimberly-Clark corporation. K-C used Professional CADAM at the time on
IBM RS/6000 workstations.  I became pretty adept with ProCADAM one
quarter when I completely re-documented a paper mill in Tennessee. :)
At the time I thought CADAM was light-years ahead of AutoCAD due to its
longer gestation period (CADAM descends from 1960s technology at
Lockheed) and its special-purpose funtion keybox.  AutoCAD always
required (requires?) too much typing.

I discovered CADAM is now owned by the French company Dassault Systems
(http://www.cadam.com/).
To my (happy) surprise the downloadable Windows build of V5R11 CADAM
works pretty well under Wine.

My system: Red Hat 9 with updates.  Nothing special except the nVidia
drivers for my nForce 2 motherboard.

I don't have the CADAM keybox
(https://estore.cadam.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TCS&Product_Code=CDK&Category_Code=H),
 which really makes CADAM fly.

Now, if I could only remember how to erase something I drew
previously... :)

Jeff