[brailleblaster] Re: Editor

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:56:04 -0500

The Sourceforge project ulses Swing. BrailleBlaster uses SWT. Combining
the two is not advisable.

I would prefer something that uses xml natively, rather than html.
Hanxiao is working on editing. This may take some time, however.

I've been wondering if it is feasible to split the editing functions off
from DocumentManager and put them in a separate class. That would mean
that one person could work on DocumentManager and another could work  on
Editor, without needing to worry about merging the files.

StyledText can handle images. We are thinking of using jeuclid for
displaying math on the print sode.

When using UTD, the Braille view should be editable, but the Daisy view
should be read-only, since it simply shows the print that corresponds to
each line of Braille. Synchronizing the two views is indeed a problem.
They should scroll together, but it should also be possible to unlock
the scrolling.  The Braille view will eventually display tactile images.

There are plans to include a 6-key entry method for editing Braille. I
think that in general screenreaders will be able to provide this and
also, of course, operate Braille displays. That's one of the things I
will be sure to include, since I use a Braille display.

I don't understand the back-translation problem as it is explained. It
is likely to be a problem with the tables rather than with the code.
Updating both the code and tables would be the best approach.

John