[brailleblaster] Re: Editor

  • From: "John Gardner" <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:02:22 -0700

Hello Keith.  A few comments.  I don't understand why the braille view is
read-only.  The braille needs to be editable according to the specs.  We
have discussed several possibilities for synchronizing the braille and text
views.  They don't need to be continuously synchronized, but one does need
to have some button to push to synch them.  Synching means nothing more than
putting the cursor more or less in the right place.  To fully update both,
one retranslates.  After locking the braille changes of course!  Of course
one could do some more fancy synching, but this should be pretty
straightforward to implement, and fancier things are likely to be a big can
of worms.

You brought up the subject of images and math, and I have forgotten the
specs for those.  It is worth having a discussion at this point about the
minimum needed for BrailleBlaster version 1.0.  I don't know how one
includes images into embosser data for conventional embossers, but I do know
how ViewPlus embossers handle them.  The ViewPlus printer driver just
converts them to dots and sends the image to the embosser along with the
braille.  This should be easy to include in the braille view.  And the image
should also be reproduced in the "ink view".

Math should be included as MathML,and liblouis can convert it to several
possible math codes.  Any math images will need to be converted by the user
to MathML to be translatable.  The math braille will be automatically
included in the braille view, and the math image should be included in the
ink view.  Interestingly, if one chooses to use DotsPlus for math, it can be
treated as an image in both views without any translation required.

There is still a lot to do with BB, but I agree with you that we need to
think forward about the tools we are using.

John G