[brailleblaster] Re: Editor

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:28:12 +0000

That's what I thought but John B. seems to prefer directly editing XML. So, my
position is that either way we need that ability to make the DAISY view/editor
as visually functional as possible. At a minimum it needs to format the text in
a sane manner and include images. Ideally it should also respect style
attributes and CSS. This is an essential component if BB is ever going to
appeal to 99% of the braille transcribers and producers out there.

The model I had in mind is a base XML document with two views. Both views
update the document dynamically and the parent view handles tex-change events.
There are a lot of details to work out but I think an HTML editor view would
work. As we do this we can better encapsulate the document/view objects so that
an MDI feature is more easily implemented if that is something folks want.

Another thing to consider is that several tools, including Word, is choaking on
the larger NIMAS files so opening and rendering the entire XML document at once
may not even be practical. The XML DOM plus images can get very large. We can
probably open the entire XML document but I doubt that we can render the entire
thing with images. At least the images need to be loaded and rendered on an
as-needed basis.

Let's keep talking about this. Some of what others are doing may need to be
suspended until some decisions are made.

Keith