[bookshare-discuss] Re: question about scanning

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:42:55 -0400

Linda, I'm sorry to hear about your migraine. Those are no picnic. I can't remember which program you use for scanning. Is it Kurzweil 9? Or has the cough syrup gone to my head now? One reason I can scan more quickly in Kurzweil is that I can set it to warn me if I scan a page that scans at less than 98 percent accuracy. I have turned off the announcement of things like the recognition progress and orientation. I've replaced the scan complete and recognition complete messages with 2 different and discrete chime sounds. If I hear Kurzweil talking, it means that a page hasn't scanned well. If I hear that warning, I stop moving forward and go to that page to see what's going on. Sometimes it's just a chapter page or a diagram. Sometimes the scanner has just taken a flawed picture of the page. In that case, rescanning the page solves the problem so I can move along again. Using this warning system lets me move quickly but gives me a chance to fix problems while I'm still at the right place in the print book. If you'd like to try doing this at some point and need a little help getting it set up, please ask.

Openbook doesn't have this feature, and now that I've had Kurzweil for 8 months, I'd feel blind going back to Openbook for scanning. I hope they'll add this feature to the new version of OB that's coming out soon.

Monica Willyard

Linda Adams wrote:
Hi, Maithe. There is no virtue in it, really; I just don't want to go back through something that I have scanned. When I finish a book, I really want to be finished! I have this fear that if I straight scanned a book without proofing all along the way, there would be one bad page somewhere, and I would miss it somehow even with spell check. Linda Adams