[bookshare-discuss] Re: banned books on bookshare

  • From: "A. J. Nolte" <a.j.nolte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:28:00 -0400

Ann et al:
I think the thing which bothers me about Brown's premise is more it's shoddy historiography, and the fact that, in stead of simply saying "this is an entertaining story and nothing more" he went on that whole "it could be true" bit. I watched an obviously sympathetic history channel documentary which, despite the admiration which most of the presenters held for the book, systematically demolished the historical claims one by one. The bit about Christ marrying was a claim of the early Merovingian Frankish monarchs in France used to bolster their dynastic claim (claiming descent from a god was one way to do this in a variety of pagan contexts).

Good story? I'm certain. But I'm also certain I couldn't get past the historically inaccurate nonsense to enjoy it. I had a similar problem with a book called The Alexandria Link, which has a similar premise to Brown's though dealing with the Old Testament. That's just me though. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Parsons" <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>