[bookshare-discuss] My little Popeye died

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:28:38 -0400

Dear Shelley and list,

Little did I know when I added my sympathy to the thoughts of care for the two members who lost their pets from other booksharers last week, that I'd feel bound by love to let my little 14 year 8 month old Schnauzer, Popeye Von Brandenberg, be put to sleep on Labor Day. He'd been doing very well on heart medication for three years, when his heart suddenly failed so that he couldn't eat or hold up his little head. The vet at the emergency clinic cried with me, and another person their, a former nun who hopes to become a deacon in the Catholic church, saw the cross I was wearing and asked if I'd like her to pray with me. I cried silently in one of those little rooms for 3 hours until a cab finally came to take me home. The minute my mind isn't extremely occupied, the emptiness and despair hits me again. Writing this is like stabbing myself, but I had to tell Shelley that though those poems and stories at the pet site she so kindly posted make me cry some more, I feel the love of animals expressed in them will ultimately comfort me.

I didn't know I would need them so soon, but thank you Cindy for finding the books on losing a pet on Bookshare. Thank you, too, to Jill, for scanning another book on the loss of a pet I mailed to her.

If anyone is interested in scanning it, I have one more book on this sad topic which I'll send you. It talks about ways to honour the memory of your pet. Popeye was a loving, loyal little gentleman who carried toys about until his heart began to stop. He lived in my lap. He was always there when I validated. He would like for me to have validated 24 hours a day because he was always sorry to be put on the floor. My lap misses him, as does all of me, especially my heart.

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>