[bookshare-discuss] Re: Going, Going, Gone!

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 20:56:22 -0500

Another time you'll find duplication titles happens when a book scanned by a volunteer includes image descriptions. Those doesn't get replaced if a publisher quality version becomes available.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 10/31/2015 8:43 PM, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81 for DMARC) wrote:

If you see multiple copies of the same book in the collection it is probably a mistake or different editions. When a publisher quality book is added for which a volunteer copy already exists the volunteer copy is removed. I understand that at first the volunteer copy was just trashed, but Carrie, who is no longer with Bookshare, told us that they started being retained at some point. I know of one case in which that came in handy. A volunteer copy of The Hobbit was removed because a publisher copy was added. At a later time the publisher, for reasons known only to the publisher, withdrew it. The volunteer copy was then reinstated.

On 10/31/2015 9:22 PM, tina sohl wrote:
Wonderful and thanks for correcting the misunderstanding. I may start with some books I'm reading for myself and submit them because I'm sure someone else may want to read thehm too, and take it from there. What happens though, in the event that a book's scanned, in the collection and the the publisher submits it? I am scanning for myself now, because I don't like audible's reader of it and thought of submitting it to bookshare but then they got it. Are there just multiple copies? I've been seeing some of that lately.