[bookshare-discuss] Re: Going, Going, Gone!

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:44:24 -0400

If your chapter titles and page numbers don't scan, (and I've certainly had this happen in my scans), then you tell the proofreader and they can take a look at the book if they are sighted, using various online sources, or ask a sighted person for help if they are blind. People have done that on the volunteer list many times. And even if only a few page numbers out of hundreds came out, then the rest can be numbered. If a proofreader is doing their job properly, that is actually reading through the book, then they can insert the page numbers as they read along. It doesn't take much time.
So there are solutions to these kinds of problems.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 8:24 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Going, Going, Gone!s=q20140121; t=1446251084;bh=6A4ie7O6P54ZzIsVuKi4VYY9/DsUIXpdxJ1WA6/qh/s=;h=Received:Received:From:To:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Subject;b=CSXnjq9vMt65ZtY+0hJcvJGUK3rb56XtIMX1fOT7HGYvAHPfEBUtEP187WhcPN0dT Us3Y7WowiHQ63PqsTx4LeaSUWsSNKaijjzHNnehxaJOqzVY5yxYVa9HcaMNhuRGCFZ 1zQCnzImRx+OZV+3LpbJtB3PjMKuLNHvDNj4wNZtu5/t4yy8ar9s7B8Cb2l5bnD/GI QpHfYWTwAMTA5/jtFMA7Pv7nP2hHhQrBJgWaWixMM928pX2vMZGK297s2BnMtwBST/ tzEIEvFEJpkIcG/z6LSPT3ZE14yZFco2B71/rvwJeoBTurfwuIq6ddQUSEy2zt1f40 p9fhJeNysAyzA==

Well, it is pretty simple. If you are blind and you scan a book, and if
the chapter is some fancy print that garbles up and you can't figure
what it is, or if your ocr app does not include page numbers in the
scan, thus, you don't have them, yuour scan is unacceptable, even if
you spell check the hell out of it and the text is clean, clean, clean.
That is nit picky. If people can't deal with the fact that those of us
with certain disabilities can deliver really clean text but not
necessarily page numbers or chapter headings, is it better to trash
the book and make it not available, or better to let the good clean
text come through and deal with the fact that page numbers or chapter
headings are absent? Given some of the stuff that I've seen in
so-called PQA books, I'd say bolunteers are being held to an absurd
standard. So I don't volunteer any more.

Mary

Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line. To get a list of