[bookport] Re: general questions

  • From: "Bruce Toews" <ketchupboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:00:12 -0700

I can answer your second question for you.

The audio format that NLS uses is two things: it is a very obscure audio
format that almost no one has heard of; and it is protected. Both of
these points work against the Book Port's desire to play NLS books.
Natively, the Book Port is very limited in terms of what file formats it
can support. Thus, for the Book Port to play NLS files, the files would
have to be converted by the transfer software from the protective format
that NLS uses into MP3 so the Book Port could handle it. This is what
sets off warning bells with NLS, as they don't want software to exist
that will convert their files. So because the scope of files natively
supported by Book Port is so narrow (90% of the power of Book Port is in
its transfer software), NLS will not allow APH to support NLS books on
the Book Port.

Bruce

--
  Bruce Toews