[blindwoodworker] Autoscribing the exact centerline?

  • From: "JDM" <sunnyday001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 01:07:21 +1100

G'day fellahs,

What do other vision-impaired woodworkers do to mark a scribe line on the exact
center edge or face of a board? Do you use some system of successive
approximation?  Measuring the width, then halving it, making a mark, then
testing it? And, then after drilling, finding that the hole is a sixteenth, an
eighth or a bees-dick out of exact center? And then, feeling mightily
disappointed?

If you, like me, have had problems finding the exact centerline of a boards
edge or face, for the purpose of drilling, nailing or dowelling, then, I have
an impeccable answer.  It is 99.99% accurate every time!

But, maybe you already know the answer, and I'm merely offering to teach my
Grandmother how to knit socks, suck eggs  or distill Moonshine?

But, if not, I can tell you how to make a small tool in your own workshop, that
will find the exact centerline on the edge or face of any board that you are
likely to use in your day to day wood work.

The tool is simply an application of the rule about right-angle triangles.
Which is, that a line that bisects the base line of a right angle triangle at
90º, also intersects the hypotenuse at its mid-point.  Please let me know if
you are interested to know more about how to make this handy tool? Me? I never
enter my workshop or leave home without it!

John

Melbourne Australia.