[blindeudora] Corrupted E-mail Causes Eudora to Freeze

  • From: Larry Gassman <lgsinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eudora 2 <eudora@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eudora 1 <blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:05:54 -0700

                 When downloading messages on Monday April 11, 2005, I
began to notice that
my outgoing messages were not being sent.  Later, I was unable to even get
into my inbox without Eudora freezing completely.  It would do this both
with JAWS running and with JAWS disabled.

I thought that it was a corrupted message in my server, but when I checked
and deleted a few, I found Eudora still would not function in any way.
So I assumed the junk message at the bottom of the list in my inbox was
corrupted.  This caused the program to freeze. We saw an error message
which said, "Program not responding." Deleting the errant message was not
possible because the program was frozen as soon as the inbox was displayed.

After trying many different ideas, I mentioned that I would gladly rebuild
my mailbox from scratch if I could retrieve those messages already inside.
My sighted friend thought for a moment, and remembered that he had used
Microsoft Word to recover text from almost any file. He thought we might be
able to view the inbox this way and perhaps delete the offending message.

So we launched Word, went to the "File" menu, selected "Open" and then
selected the "All Files" format.  Then we navigated to Eudora's inbox file
which we found at C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\inbox.  When we pressed
"Enter" all of the messages appeared in the Word document.  We checked the
messages at the top of the list to determine their format, and then selected
the offending message at the bottom which had a lot of headers plus HTML,
then deleted it. Then we saved the document using the File/Save command
instead of the File/Save As command. This was done so that the inbox file
would retain its original format and still link up with Eudora.  When we
went back to Eudora, the inbox came up with all messages intact, except for
the bad one which had been deleted using Word.

By the way, when I go to <http://www.mail2web.com/>http://www.mail2web.com
it tells me that I don't
have any messages, even though I can see the messages when I go to
<http://www.sbc.yahoo.com/>http://www.sbc.yahoo.com to read messages
straight from the server. We
haven't figured this out yet, but at least I now know that I can see my
e-mail via Yahoo if I have any further problems with Eudora.
I have DSL, not dial up. My wife also has the same problem when going to
mail to web.

Larry gassman

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora