[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanno question

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:05:23 -0500

Dear Judy,

Generally it isn’t an ocr problem. It has to do with the font and or the amount
of saturation of the ink. Even if the scanner knows a certain word is coming
out wrong repeatedly if they adjust the settings in either direction, one or
many other errors crop up.

Recently I proofread a book where the letters cl scanned as d. There were also
several stray periods, commas, and even slash marks because the book had more
ink splatters than usual.

Another kind of error that comes up in droves is the lack of periods and commas
because they are attached to the prior letter and so the scanner can’t detect
them as separate punctuation marks.

Always with love,

Lissi