[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanno question

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 01:12:33 -0800

probably has to do with the serifs or decorative fonts which confuse the OCR engine. Sometimes words are "written," as in clues for a detective in cursive, which confuses the scanner / OCR engine. Interesting that the I would be confused for an N, or an I for an H. strange indeed.

At 02:37 PM 11/4/2015, you wrote:

Hi Judy
That is interesting not sure that I have seen that before but they have seen the scanning software take another letter in put another one there instead not lower casing the word before never seen that before.
But that's definitely an interesting one.
On Nov 4, 2015 3:32 PM, "Judy s." <<mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've run into a couple books recently when proofreading that have the following scanno: the word hi in lower case instead of the correct word in. It occurs throughout the entire book.

You guys who scan, what causes this? Is it a characteristic of any particular OCRing setting or program?

It's more of a curiosity question than anything else, mostly because it's cropped up a couple of times now. It's a scanno a proofreader finds only if they are carefully reading the book word for word, because it of course doesn't show up on a spell check.

--
Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>QuackersNCheese