[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanno question

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:41:07 -0800

The words hi and in are sort of similar in shape (tall vertical line at the beginning, two shorter lines with a horizontal line, in the middle) so I'd say the scanno is most likely due to poor contrast between paper and ink. And that is most likely from older books where the paper gets darker and the print gets lighter.

Though there can be other reasons. I had one book where everything scanned very well except the main character's name. The name was Cari but it scanned as almost every possible similar looking alternative Carl, Cail, Cori, Can, Gari, Gori, Call and probably several others I've forgotten. And since this was the main character, I couldn't possibly submit it for proofing before fixing this.

Misha

On 11/4/2015 12:32 PM, Judy s. wrote:

I've run into a couple books recently when proofreading that have the following scanno: the word hi in lower case instead of the correct word in. It occurs throughout the entire book.

You guys who scan, what causes this? Is it a characteristic of any particular OCRing setting or program?

It's more of a curiosity question than anything else, mostly because it's cropped up a couple of times now. It's a scanno a proofreader finds only if they are carefully reading the book word for word, because it of course doesn't show up on a spell check.

--
Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>