[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanno question

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:29:41 -0500

My guess is that it has something to do with some subtle shape of the letters in print. I have scanned books in which it doesn't happen at all and others in which the entire book is plagued with it. As a matter of fact, I have noticed that each book is especially prone to some particular scanno. In one book the letters com scan as corn. In another book the apostrophes scan missing and in another book any apostrophe following a T turns them both into an f. Even though most books use the same font I think this behavior must be due to some small and subtle difference from one book to another.

On 11/4/2015 3:32 PM, Judy s. wrote:

I've run into a couple books recently when proofreading that have the following scanno: the word hi in lower case instead of the correct word in. It occurs throughout the entire book.

You guys who scan, what causes this? Is it a characteristic of any particular OCRing setting or program?

It's more of a curiosity question than anything else, mostly because it's cropped up a couple of times now. It's a scanno a proofreader finds only if they are carefully reading the book word for word, because it of course doesn't show up on a spell check.

--
Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>