[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:21:26 -0700

Wildcat:

The age of the program is only 1 factor, & that not always an
important 1, in producing excellent scans. While the latest OCR
engines tend to be quite accurate if the font is a well-recognized 1,
& while it's true that later engines are hopefully better than their
predecessors, other factors that can be important are:
1) The quality of print of the book, if the scanner brightness is not
set properly for the quality of print, the recognition may be poor;
2) Holding the book flat against the scanner glass so all the text is
scanned properly;
3) Making certain the book is aligned w/the proper edge(s) of the scanner;

Depending on the book, sometimes settings need to be twiddled in order
to get a good scan. Sometimes, especially if the print tends to be on
the small side, it may help to increase the resolution from 300 to 400
DPI, & sometimes, again depending on the print, going from
blac-&-white to grey scale may be required. Figuring out the proper
settings can at times require some trial & error.

There is an audio archive on the friends of bookshare site
www.friendsofbookshare.org
which discusses scanning technique, & u would do well to give that a
listen, since it's clear you're interested in improving your
scans--good 4 u!

HTH.

--
Jackie McBride