[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions please and thank you delete if don't like how I write.

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:37:39 -0600

Hi Evan, Gwen and everyone!

Because of what Evan said about another proof reader finding mistakes, I think this is a good way to do things, because the books are the very best they can be with that double checking. The Bookshare books that were rated as "good" used to have more junk characters than I wished they would have had.

My husband teaches computer workshops as part of his job. He makes out his own lab schedule, fitting in times across the board when the lab is available so that the students have a wide range of times to take these workshops. The colleague on the tech team who runs the lab checks Bruce's schedule before it is posted. Although Bruce is a detail person and is careful when making the schedules, the lab owner has caught a mistake or two over the years. Bruce (my husband) will check John's work too if he's making a schedule, and has probably found a mistake here or there too. It happens.

I have had all quite clean scans so far to proof, which makes them a pleasure to proof. There are always going to be some cleanup to do, since OCR software isn't perfect.

Debby

At 10:13 AM 11/17/2009, EVAN REESE wrote
Hi Gwen,

As to the first question, it used to be that scanners could proofread, (validate), as it used to be called), their own works. However, that was changed because having a different proofreader can find mistakes that the original scanner missed. Seeing with fresh eyes, in a manner of speaking. I know that I have made mistakes in books I submitted that were caught by the proofreader, so I think this is a good system.

Not sure I understand your second question, though.

Evan