[bksvol-discuss] Re: question re spelling

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:00:33 -0700

Hi all,

I don't necessarily think one should clutter the list with spelling corrections, but if anyone would like to correct me off list I'm game. I always prefer to know when I'm spelling wrong, particularly when it comes
to names.  Here's one reason.

When I was first writing about the HarperCollins publisher books, I spelled
HarperCollins as Harper Collins.  As two separate words with a space between
them.  It turns out that there is no space between Harper and Collins.  It
is all one word with a capital H in Harper and a capital C in Collins.  It
looks like this-HarperCollins.  Yeah, it surprised me too.  I'm so glad
someone pointed that out to me because I think it could have looked rather
unprofessional to keep writing it wrong.

I noticed the spelling of Mayrie's name by a good accident.  I just happened
to spell her name letter-by-letter one day and found out.  I try to check
on spellings of people's names whenever possible. This is especially true when
it comes to names that I know have common differing spellings like Anne and
Ann, Sarah and Sara, John and Jon, Ashley and Ashleigh, Chris and Kris, etc.

Also, I'm an Allison spelled with two ls and an i.  Sometimes is spelled
with one l, or with a y instead of i.  If my name is spelled with only one l
or with two ls and a y, JAWS still pronounces it correctly.  So usually I
don't notice when someone spells it wrong, but when I see it in Braille I do
know.

Just my thoughts.

Allison
A-l-l-i-s-o-n