[bksvol-discuss] Re: getting worried about possibly disappearing books

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:36:02 -0700

Hi Jamie,

A book can get through submission and be rated excellent with the issues
that you describe, because the tool that marks quality pretty much only
checks spelling, and missing page breaks are only a problem once the book is
being added to the collection, or attempted to be added.  This is so,
because a proofreader might fix those issues. Also, a tool has no idea how
many page breaks a book should have, so if it sees none, it just says to
itself, and you, "Okay, this book has 4 pages." And in fact the book may
originally have had say, 104 pages, but the tool has no way of knowing that.
And finally, on this point, hyphenated words that ought to be linked may be
few enough not to lower the excellent rating to good.  I don't personally,
know how many improperly spelled words a book needs to have in proportion to
its total word count before the quality rating is lowered.

There are several ways to determine where paragraphs appropriately belong.
The absolutely most effective and accurate of these is to compare the rtf
file with a hard copy of the book. Paragraph marks that don't belong can be
deleted in at least 90 percent of instances by removing paragraph marks
which appear before lowercase letters.  A good working knowledge of grammar
and punctuation is helpful in determining whether a paragraph mark is
missing, or added in where it shouldn't be, though it isn't fool proof, as
authors take many liberties with these things.  And finally, often paragraph
marks are missing between lines of dialogue where there is no naration, but
just groups of words each surrounded by quotation marks.  In this instance,
the proofreader needs to insert paragraph marks between speakers in a
dialogue.

Sorry if all that was way more than you wanted to know.

Mayrie

  _____