[bksvol-discuss] Re: did Mayrie's thing now more questions

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:16:00 -0700

I tried to find an old e-mail on this issue, but must have erased it.
As I recall, the manual is incorrect regarding ellipses.  In order for them to
appear correctly in braille, an ellipsis in the middle of a sentence (between
words) should have a space before and after it; in other words, an ellipsis
between words is treated as a word.
What confuses me now though is how an ellipsis appears at the beginning or end
of a sentence.  I thought that when an ellipsis appeared at the beginning of a
sentnece there was no space between the ellipsis and the word that follows it.
I thought that when an ellipsis appeared at the end of a sentence that there
was not a space between the final word of the sentence and the ellipsis. From
what Mayrie says, I am incorrect.
 I wish the manual would be corrected and state clearly how we are to deal with
ellipses.

Lori C.

          From: Kestrell <kestrell@xxxxxxxxx>
          To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 7:08 AM

          So there is supposed to be a space before and after the ellipsis? I
could swear that I read in the volunteer scanning documentation that all spaces
were supposed to be eliminated. Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by "all"?

          Kestrell

                    From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: did Mayrie's thing now more
questions
                    To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 9:33 PM

                    There is another quirky arrow (not just a straight line),
called an optional hyphen, and those you DO delete.  Maybe those are what you
are thinking of or have seen, Cindy.  I would be interested in learning how it
is identified in Braille or by speech.

                    Valerie

                    On May 21, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Cindy wrote:

                            I never knew what those little  arows were; I
though maybe paragraph symbols so I just deleted them, and there didn't seem to
be any problem with wha remained.

                              From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                              Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: did Mayrie's thing
now more questions
                              To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 5:08 PM

                              I am thinking the right pointing error is a tab,
and would be replaced by a space unless you want your material formatted as a
table, then it can be used for creation of a table.

                              If you are in Word and not wanting to make a
table, do a find and replace by putting ^t in the first box and a single space
in the second.

                              HTH!

                              Valerie

                              On May 21, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Jamie Yates, CPhT
wrote:

                                The right pointing arrows are something you
need to eliminate. In word you just replace all of the ^l with a space, unless
it's truly where a paragraph ends then you replace it with ^p.

                                But usually it's a temporary line break so that
it looks like the print book, but is very annoying in braille and needs to be
eliminated.

10/19/2008 6:02 PM