[bksvol-discuss] Re: did Mayrie's thing now more questions

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:33:46 -0700

Hi Julie,

The manual has obviously not been corrected, or the later version of the
braille transcription manual reads differently.  I'll have to download that
and see what it says.  However, let's please surround them with spaces for
now.

I'll do my best to look up the exact  wording of the most recent version of
the braille transcription manual which is our bible on this subject and I'll
get back to the list by the end of the upcoming week. I apologize if I have
been inaccurate, and will get a definitive answer by Friday, 5-27-11.

Mayrie

  _____

From: Kestrell <kestrell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 7:08 AM

So there is supposed to be a space before and after the ellipsis? I could
swear that I read in the volunteer scanning documentation that all spaces
were supposed to be eliminated. Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by
"all"?

Kestrell

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 9:33 PM

There is another quirky arrow (not just a straight line), called an optional
hyphen, and those you DO delete.  Maybe those are what you are thinking of
or have seen, Cindy.  I would be interested in learning how it is identified
in Braille or by speech.

Valerie

On May 21, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Cindy wrote:

I never knew what those little  arows were; I though maybe paragraph symbols
so I just deleted them, and there didn't seem to be any problem with wha
remained.

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 5:08 PM

I am thinking the right pointing error is a tab, and would be replaced by a
space unless you want your material formatted as a table, then it can be
used for creation of a table.

If you are in Word and not wanting to make a table, do a find and replace by
putting ^t in the first box and a single space in the second.

HTH!

Valerie

On May 21, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:

The right pointing arrows are something you need to eliminate. In word you
just replace all of the ^l with a space, unless it's truly where a paragraph
ends then you replace it with ^p.

But usually it's a temporary line break so that it looks like the print
book, but is very annoying in braille and needs to be eliminated.

  _____

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
6:02 PM