[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:08:17 -0500

Shayla,

I agree.  That is the reason why I would rather not choose adult/non adult
rating on a book.  I leave the check box unchecked and let someone else
decide, though, as you correctly sa, this concept of adult rating is
somewhat of an arbitrary and a subjective process.  I believe bookshare
follows the system for marketting reasons more than anything else.  If
parents are so much concerned to subject teenagers/others to restrictions,
they should read and examine material prior to letting them read it.  But,
I'm sure there others on this list who find the ratings helpful and find it
necessary.  In my opinion, no library should be in the business of telling
people what they should read or what they should not.  And, while Bookshare
may not have started that way or the organization itself not see itself as
such, I perceive it to be a library.  Its main function should be to
disseminate knowledge, no matter in what form it comes, regardless of
marketting reasons.  People/clients will come to find a good product and
good quality.  As Jim pointed out in his e-mail about  Text Page Breaks,
users consistently reported that quality was significant.  Once Bookshare
assures that it is absolutely devoted to quality and consistency, it will
find itself swarming with users.

Sorry bout the rant, folks.  I feel particularly philosophical this morning
because we are plagued with several inches of snow.

Prat

Pratik Patel
Interim Director
Office of Special Services