[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: Shayla Parker <shayla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:30:31 -0800

As I said to someone else a few hours ago, I think most of this discussion is not about whether or not parents should be responsible for what their kids read. It is not really about who has access to what material, but how that material is classified. I don't have a problem with restricting kids access to books (well actually I do, but I understand why people find it necessary). I do however have a problem with the haphazard methodologies applied to what books fall into what category. I cited an example in a previous message of a book that was definitely adult in nature, but clearly intended for teenagers. I've also found books classified as adult on Bookshare because they discussed abortion. There's something unsettling about that.

They're two connected, but separate issues, and I think some people are confusing them.

At 08:23 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:

Allison,

Some exposure to adult content may not be entirely bad for kids.  But we're
not just talking about a simple picture book.  There are some books with
extremely explicit material and it could be a problem if kids (particularly
younger ones) had access to it.  For one thing, if they were young enough,
it might confuse them.  For another, it could arouse curiosity.  Curiosity
isn't always bad, depending on the consequences.  I just know that if I had
children and they were members of a sight like this one, I would want a
system in place that would provide some limitations.  I do, however, agree
that the choice should be left up to the parents whether or not adult
content is blocked from there kids.  I just think it's good to have a system
like this so that parents have that option to block it.