[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:44:20 -0800 (PST)

It seems to me, again, that if parents think it's o.k.
for their teenagers to read the book they can get it
for their child. I'm sure children hear about these
books from their schoolmates. When my daughters were
in, I think, 5th or 6th grade, they wanted to read
Flowers in the Attic because their friends were
talking about it. I looked at it -- in fact, I read it
--but I didn't think it appropriate for them to read
at that age.

I check the Adult box when there is explicit sex and
profanity -- and graphic violence--because I know,
from reading the posts on this list, that many readers
on this list would not want to read them. Sometimes,
because of the delicate language used to describe the
varaious sex acts and because the oaths are relatively
minor, bookshare doesn't suggest the Adult rating. I
don't know what words the automatic screener spots to
give a book an adult rating, but it doesn't pick up
things that I've gathered from posters would offend
them.

Whether or not to give a book the Adult rating is
actually up to the submitter and, finally, to the
validator, who can change the automatic rating either
up or down and give reasons for the change. The person
doing the rating, though, has to, I think, base the
decision not on what he or she thinks  but on what
they think other might want to know before downloading
the book.

Maybe the Adult rating should be abolished and instead
another space on the upload page should take its place
in which the validator could say whether the book
contains graphic sex or violence or profanity. Maybe
we could use a rating system like the movies. There
are some books I've validated that I've recommended
for mature teenagers.

Cindy

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo