[bksvol-discuss] Re: a question on the last days of dogtown

  • From: "patti" <plcdoula@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:45:49 -0400

Hi Cindy and all: I'm reading it on the braillenote. Perhaps when I started fixing things, it saved it as a keyword file, then some of it turned to garbage. I was just systematically fixing what I could, as an editor would; I'm not going to do that anymore. It's time-consuming, and if it messes up the book in the long run, it's not worth it. I think Amber should contact Gustapo and ask him to change the rating, explaining the circumstances, if he's not reading about it, and go on from here.

I guess when I see the quality of what I get from nls opposed to the quality from bookshare, well, let's just say, there's a difference. In most cases, it's not enough of a difference, that, if I wanted to read the book bad enough, I'd read it, but not letter or word quality.

Here's a perfect example; a book I rejected, Home Front, by Patti Davis. I couldn't tell you what it was rated as originally because I just don't remember; but it was virtually unreadable in parts. I'm a pretty good guesser of words or even parts of sentences by context and can fix it; but I would have really had to work at that one, and in many instances, I would have been guessing; and in some instances, I couldn't have figured it out.

So, from here on out, I'll validate--pertinent info, overall quality--and leave it at that. I'm not experienced enough to know what should be fixed and what should be left alone. I'd make a good proofreader because I've always been an excellent braille reader, and I pick up mistakes in lots of books and wonder why they weren't caught.

I'm sorry I hurt Amber's feelings, and I'm sorry I stirred up such a hornet's nest. I've learned valuable things, and I think the bookshare project is wonderful, so I'll continue doing what I'm doing. Patti