[bksvol-discuss] for Patti

  • From: "Shannon A. Reece" <shazza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:54:51 -0700

Patti, this is just a thought, but on your next book, could you, or would
you be willing, to try this?
Would you consider validating a book on your computer, with Word or WordPad,
in .rtf format while at the same time looking at it with your BrailleNote
I.e., have two copies of the book, one in the BN, one on your computer, so
that you may check to see if garbage or errors appearing on your BN appear
on the computer?
Obviously, in regards to DogTown, something went horribly wrong.  It wasn't
Amber's fault and it isn't yours, but I know when I've validated books, I've
never questioned Bookshare's rating because it's always been accurate.  And
if Amber's scanning software has a good spellchecker and if she proofed it
herself as she went along, I truly cannot imagine that she'd let the garbage
and errors you saw slip by her.  Submitters here seem to take inordinate
pride in their work, and rightfully so.
Now, as a novice validater myself, I know your feeling of wanting perfection
and/or being nervous about what to fix and what not to, but remember this:
NLS books are tightly controled and monitored; yet if you listen to a
narrated book, you can still occasionally hear mistakes.  For instance, in
one book I recently finished through NLS, there were two characters, one
named Harley and one named Harry. The narrator got their names confused
once.  So even NLS isn't perfect.  The main thing for me is that we have the
books to read.  And if Bookshare can provide them to us, even with some
errors, it's worth it if you can't get the books any other way, or if you
want to use a device like a Book Port or BN to read them.
Bookshare has four Gwen Hunter books which I am reading now.  I love them.
NLS doesn't have them.  I'll take them even with errors; it's worth it
because if it wasn't for Bookshare, I would never have known about Gwen
Hunter, or Richard Laymon, or several other authors.
If you can though, I'd consider, just for your peace of mind, to check the
next book you do both on the BN and on the computer.  Because this would
seem to be the only way you can get a definite answer to your translation
worries.
Shannon