[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validation - Finished Product who self-validate books

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

James,

It is nice of you to want to make the finished product
as perfect as possible. Many of us do.

I see several people replied to you about the page
numbers and headers, pae breaks, tabs et al, so I'll
answer your general question.

Some, perhaps many, of us read the books changing
scannos as we go, deleting extra characters, putting
in apostrophes and commas where they were left out, if
we have the book or can tell, etc. If you read as you
validate, you can tell if a word is left out of a
sentence, as many were in a book I did recently, and
you can tell if a correctly spelled word is actually
the wrong word for the context, e.g., if he scanned as
be, or vice versa, or the scanned as lie. These are
fairly common scannos but won't be found by doing a
spell-check in Word or using the K1000 word
recognition thing. Another such error I found in the
book I did recently was the word torn for the name
Tom. Also, the numeral one by itself replaces a person
pronoun I often, and this isn't caught either.

After I've read the book and made changes I do a spell
check and then I find a few things I missed, liked
some words run together.

Such care isn't required, but you asked, and many of
us do it because we want the books to be as perfect as
humanly (notice that word) possible. Fortunately,
Excellent allows for a few errors--at this point
neither humans nor mechanical means caan be guaranteed
to create perfect books for bookshare, but humans can
come darned close. smile

Cindy

-