[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating large numbers of books

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:35:03 -0800

Hi. Gosh, I hope this doesn't happen! I would be very opposed to my email address being given to submitters. I do agree that somehow a submitter's email address needs to be available to the validator, but not the reverse. I would probably either use a fake address or stop validating if my email address was shared. I know I'm not unique. Many people are concerned about their privacy and do not want their address given out. Besides this could potentially make them a larger spam target. No thanks! Also, I wouldn't want a submitter breathing down my neck if they decided that I've been taking too long. If you started bugging me after a month, I would probably just ignore you so it would do you no good, or else I would release the book and the backlog would only get worse than it already is.

I think that sometimes the staff does validate books, especially if there is a rush for some reason, but I think it is a very small amount and should be increased. However, then even fewer books would be approved because they are trying to validate and clean up. The system is supposed to work as a community effort and I think it is mostly working, but you're right in that it has flaws.

Unfortunately, here's the standard answer in a community like this. What are you going to do about it? In other words, what are you, as a volunteer, going to do to see that some of this happens? You can't change the bookshare software, but you could set up some form of tagging system that validators could use. This would be optional of course. You could also start posting notes when you begin validating a book or after you've accepted and resubmitted it. You could write to the support people and offer to develop such a system for them. The point is that that is how things get done in a volunteer-based community like this. I personally don't think that the above is necessarily practical and you would have to sell people on the idea of using whatever system you develop, but it's an option.

At 10:46 AM 1/24/2005 -0500, you wrote:

What this discussion tells me is that the current system, once a book is
initially submitted, has some flaws that need addressing.

A lot of these could be handled with a bit of automation.
For one, once a book is downloaded for validation, an automated email
should go to the original submitter telling him/her who has it with their
email address should they decide to contact that individual.
The validator ought to receive an email giving them the info on the
submission page such as who submitted the book, the comments, etc as these
sometimes can prove invaluable.
Similar notices should go out when a validated book is returned, renewed,
whatever.
Moreover, perhaps some of the volunteer time in Palo Alto could be
directed not only to scanning but to validating because a book on the Step
1 is just as much a potential addition to the collection as one being
scanned.

As I said initially, once the programming code were incorporated into the
Bookshare software, all of those notifications would be automated
requiring no administrative time or effort.
And it might even save administrative time as I can only imagine how many
msgs a week may be directed to support asking what happened to this or
that.
We see some of these kinds of msgs on the lists; and I'd gather that only
a small percentage of volunteers actually post on lists.

Also such notices would serve as a nudge to validators to finish their
work as they are no longer working anonymously.
Also, as an example, if you had one of my books for 3 months, and if it
concerned me, I could then ask you if you
requiring my help with something, whatever.

I appreciate it when a validator tells me they're working on something of
mine, if they have a question on something, etc.
Our mutual goal is to get a book ready for final approval that is in the
best shape possible.
And the validation system serves as a check in helping the submitter in
the event they overlooked something obvious.