[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating large numbers of books

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:40:52 -0600

I believe E-mail address display could be voluntary just as displaying your
name is, and i think Mike's idea is a good one provided a person can opt out
if necessary.  Either with or without that feature added to the site I fail
to see why fits are necessary.  Displaying of E-mail addresses or even
sending them out to bookshare volunteers is in no way a spam risk, since I
very much doubt that any of us are spammers.  I also know that some people
are not on this list because they just don't want to deal with reading a lot
of messages not because they are hiding from everyone.

I won't speak for Mike or anyone else, but just because someone asks a
question that seems somewhat private doesn't necessarily mean they are just
being a nosy prying  person.  I often ask questions about what someone does
because I want to understand peoples thinking and behavior, often because I
want to assist or accommodate them.  Sometimes I will decide I agree with
them when they explain what they are doing, when I disagreed before the
explanation.  Sometimes I find that I have some suggestions to present to
the person, which could make them change their mind, or could leave them
unmoved.  Either way it is not usually my wish only to be contrary.
Sometimes I am just curious, because curiocity is a natural human trait that
exists to allow us to have the will to learn, which is necessary if we are
to succeed in living. :-)

BTW, my list address is different from my personal address, which is the one
I provided bookshare.  My reason is yet another one.  I did it because I
want to sort mail when I am too busy or not at home to read all my E-mail.
This way I get notices from bookshare immediately because an address I check
regularly gets those, but I don't get swamped with listmail when I don't
want to read it.

Do whatever you like, but consider what you say before you share a desire to
veto what other people would like to have done, because they have as much
right to their opinion as you do.  Go ahead and say you don't like the idea,
though, because that is a productive comment if it doesn't get personal.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/