[bksvol-discuss] Re: Social Bodies

  • From: "Kaitlyn Hill" <Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:02:07 -0700

Hi,

I have to disagree with the rank spelling being used as a bottom line. I
have scanned books that have a rank spelling of 96 or 97 when I have
finished scanning. After going through rank spelling and having it ignore
all the proper names I have been able to get it  up over 99 percent.

I have also seen the validating tool rate a book higher than my rank
spelling gave it. I am fully supportive of the highest quality books but to
promote the fact that 96 is not acceptable is very much a two edged sward
and gives new validators the impression that this is required.

Also if full read throughs are going to be what it takes to get the
excellence that can be had then the 50 cents is not worth it and that
incentive needs to be looked at. The other way to go with this would be that
scanners need to semi validate the book as a required guideline.

Taking the time it takes for the average scanner, using a flat bed, which I
would imagine can take a few hours or more, expecting a validator to read a
complete book the compensation should be the same. That also means that a
read through of the book needs to be added to the official guidelines for
validating.

Then taking into account what is suggested as a minimum time a validator
puts in a month, I believe is about 2 hours, then a complete read through of
an average book will take longer than this. I have been taking a couple of
days a month to scan books in and on a good day I can get 6 to 8 books
scanned. If it is a book I am interested in I don't feel bad taking longer
than a week or so to read the book and make all the corrections overly long.

I appreciate the direction E you are pushing to take the BookShare site but
I have found some of the statements coming across as guidelines more than
suggestions. In stating where the site can go it would be helpful to balance
the ideal excellence with what are the current guidelines for validators.