[bksvol-discuss] Re: Social Bodies

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:07:18 -0400

A book one scans for oneself may not necessarily as originally scanned be qualified for bookshare. However, if you think the book you scanned has political merit and if you own a copy of k1000 which this submitter does it is possible to clean up your text at least by using autocorrect and certainly by using rank spelling. All I am suggesting is that much improvement by a submitter is possible on a book, the same kind of work we validators do for fifty cents and the submitter does for $2.50. Presumably, submitting is done because the submitters think asomeone else would like to read the book or that the book is one a larger audience than an audience of one blind person might want to read. I applaud this willingness to share. I am not willing to do the work on books which come in consistently with 96 and 97% ratings no matter how politically or socially important they are. Perhaps others want to take these projects on but I suggest that bookshare needs a bottom to what is acceptable to prevent submitters from submitting things with extremely poor ratings. No let's not get on to where that floor should be. But perhaps we need to speak frankly on this list about books whose rating is 96 or 97^% and which continue to clutter up the step 1 page. This is not personal to any submitter but really we do need to say these things out loud unless the list is just to grow randomly.

E.