[bksvol-discuss] Re: Remove from scan list

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:04:29 EDT

I am pretty sure that if one qualifies for either the NLS or Bookshare then
one qualifies for the other. In fact, Bookshare accepts registration with the
NLS as proof of qualification for Bookshare. There apparently is not a policy
 that a book held by the NLS cannot be placed on Bookshare though. If that
was  the case Bookshare would not be scanning the NYT best sellers. I would not

necessarily want to change that policy because different people prefer
different  formats and, besides, a new book can be made available on Bookshare
a lot
faster  anyway, but I do think that it would be a good idea to give priority
to books  that are not available from the NLS simply because the time used up
in scanning  and validating can be better devoted to making books available
that are not  available in any other format. In a message dated 9/21/2008
9:33:38 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time, popularplace@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Karen,

I think--The policy is that it doesn't matter whether or  not a book is
available from NLS because there are people who qualify for  membership in
bookshare who don't qualify for membership in NLS. Also, not all  members read
Braille; I don't know what the new digital NLS format  is.

The one place people don't want to duplicate books from is Project
Gutenberg, because anyone can download from there. I've never known, though,
although
I did ask once, if those books can be converted into Daisy or  Braille. I know
we do have books from PG; many were donated, I believe, when  bookshare was
getting started.

Cindy

> What is the policy  (or is there even a policy) at bookshare
> about books
> that are  available from NLS, either in web braille or in
> the new digital
> format?
> Is anyone concerned about seemingly duplicating  effort to
> get a book
> published in more than one accessible  format?  If I were to
> be asked, I
> would prefer all books  in the digital format provided by
> bookshare, and not
> in a  human voice recording format.
>
> - Karen
>
> At  05:07 PM 9/20/2008, you wrote:
> >Hi everybody.  I will not be  scanning these books.
> >
> >The Body in the Snowdrift by  Katherine Hall Page.  It
> is available from NLS.
>  >
> >Code Talkers of WW II.  This book became a  difficult
> project and I do not
> >feel like hassling with  tables, etc.
> >
> >Thanks for removing them.
>  >

> >--
> >Mary Anne  Lynskey

> subject line.  To  get a list
> >of available commands, put the word 'help' by
>  itself in the subject line.
>

>  To  unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>  bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> put the word 'unsubscribe' by  itself in the subject
> line.  To get a list of available commands,  put the word
> 'help' by itself in the subject line.

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email  to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by  itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the  word 'help' by itself in the subject line.