[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quick question about the conversion tool

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:30:36 -0500

We don't get it from anywhere. It is something that Bookshare has and it automatically does its job when the books are uploaded to the collection. There are just certain things we have to know about how it works in order to stop it from doing things that we don't want it to do. For one thing, it strips out blank lines. That means that if there is a blank line that we want to preserve we have to indicate it in some other way and we use three asterisks to do that. We also have to insert blank lines at the beginning and end of each page to give it something to strip out so that it will not strip out anything that we want to remain.

On 12/28/2012 4:18 PM, Angel Murphy wrote:
Hie all! It's Angel. Just curious to know. What conversion tool r y'all talking about? An where do y'all get it from?

Sent from my iPod

On Dec 28, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

We were instructed to put a blank line after the page number, but I don't recall any instructions that we should preserve them by putting asterisks there and of all the Bookshare books I have downloaded I have never come across one with asterisks after the page numbers. So apparently the answer is no. That does raise the question, though, of why we should place blank lines after them. The conversion tool should just strip them out. I keep putting in the blank lines anyway though.
On 12/28/2012 2:34 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Blank
Hey guys;
I know that the conversion tool strips blank lines in text but I have a quick question. When formatting/proofing a book, should we put asterisks after the page number if we move them to the top or just let it be?
My format looks like this (with the asterisks)
blank line
page number
blank line
chapter heading
blank line
text
Note: that after the chapter heading I have asterisks but not after the page number. So, am I suppose to put asterisks after the page numbers to preserve the blank line or not?
Thanks,
Netta