[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about a book I am working on.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:22:36 -0600

Hi Valerie,

That's what I suspected -- the illustrations are really visual jokes that are for the adults reading the rhymes to the children. But I really appreciate you looking at them!

Judy

On 12/5/2013 5:54 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Dear Judy;

Sorry to be slow after acquiring the book to prepare to scan it. I have asked a number of teachers and done a reading both ways of this book with and without picture descriptions, and everyone was pretty much in agreement that trying to take time to describe the pictures detracted from the cadence and rhyming of the nursery rhyme. I will be glad to scan the book I mentioned, but we would probably not recommend (or do ourselves) picture descriptions since they would be overpowering to the text. It’s one of those places where a picture’s worth 1000 words but the thousand words would overpower the nursery rhymes. ;-)

I hope that makes sense and that you are disappointed… Thanks!

Valerie

On Nov 17, 2013, at 6:17 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Valerie, have you and Doug ever looked at the Wallace Tripp nursery rhyme books? I've wondered about getting them for the collection, but I think so much would be lost if the illustrations weren't described well, and I'm not sure how to capture them in words. The illustrations are all sort of a wink at what the rhyme is saying. I don't know how I'd even go about describing them so that a blind reader could capture that flavor. I'd love your take on it, if you've ever seen the books, given how experienced and devoted you and Doug are to getting great quality children's books into the collection with image descriptions.

Judy s.

On 11/17/2013 6:03 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Cindy;

I am so sorry if I misunderstood your comment, "It seems to me, from the caption, that one can imagine…” And I thought someone might then insert the words caption. This is where real life dialogue is so much easier than email. Smiles. And you are correct, if an explanation would be redundant or superfluous, I do not include a picture description, merely indicate there was a picture/sketch/illustration, or whatever title is most fitting.

It’s wonderful that we have such great volunteers dedicated to making the best possible books!

Valerie