[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about a book I am working on.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:32:33 -0600

Thanks, Valerie -- that'll be wonderful to get an opinion from you on how/if they would work for image descriptions, when you get a chance. smile. You can find scans of three of them on Open Library, if you want to take a peek. Here's some direct links; if you set up an account and sign in you can just click on the 'ebook' link and view them online. If they're checked out, you get on a waiting list, which usually moves super quick:

Granfa Grig Had a Pig and Other Rhymes Without Reason: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL15854324W/Granfa%27_Grig_had_a_pig_and_other_rhymes_without_reason Sir Toby Jingle's Beastly Journey: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5190221M/Sir_Toby_Jingle%27s_beastly_journey_story_and_pictures/ <https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5190221M/Sir_Toby_Jingle%27s_beastly_journey_story_and_pictures/borrow> A Great Big Ugly Man Came Up and Tied His Horse To Me: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL5477832W/A_Great_Big_Ugly_Man_Came_Up_and_Tied_His_Horse_to_Me

Judy s.
On 11/17/2013 6:37 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Dear Judy;

I had never heard of the Wallace Tripp nursery rhyme books, but our library system has Granfa' Grig had a pig and other rhymes without reason , so I will check that out and take a look. It seems like there are a lot of them, and it doesn't appear there are any in the collection. I am so backlogged I really shouldn't even check it out, but you have piqued my curiosity.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Valerie

On Nov 17, 2013, at 6:17 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Valerie, have you and Doug ever looked at the Wallace Tripp nursery rhyme books? I've wondered about getting them for the collection, but I think so much would be lost if the illustrations weren't described well, and I'm not sure how to capture them in words. The illustrations are all sort of a wink at what the rhyme is saying. I don't know how I'd even go about describing them so that a blind reader could capture that flavor. I'd love your take on it, if you've ever seen the books, given how experienced and devoted you and Doug are to getting great quality children's books into the collection with image descriptions.

Judy s.

On 11/17/2013 6:03 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Cindy;

I am so sorry if I misunderstood your comment, "It seems to me, from the caption, that one can imagine..." And I thought someone might then insert the words caption. This is where real life dialogue is so much easier than email. Smiles. And you are correct, if an explanation would be redundant or superfluous, I do not include a picture description, merely indicate there was a picture/sketch/illustration, or whatever title is most fitting.

It's wonderful that we have such great volunteers dedicated to making the best possible books!

Valerie