[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about MP3 audio

  • From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:54:12 -0400

Dasha, I'm not Roger, but I found books.google an invaluable help as I proofread! (That is, if Google has it.) Type books.google in your browser. Hit control and enter at the same time. That will take you to books.google.com. Type the title of the book with quotes around it. Then type either a few words before the word you're looking for or a few words after the questionable word. Hit the search button. If the book is there, it will almost always be the first option. It's great; I love it. Good luck!

Marty

-----Original Message----- From: Dasha Radford
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 11:21 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about MP3 audio

Put screen reader do you use? The reason I ask is with job axes with speech if I do Google books and do it with an entire book even for reading purposes some of those books are images that you can't read. How do you manage?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2012, at 11:16 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have been blind now for 24 years.

On 6/4/2012 11:13 PM, Dasha Radford wrote:
I'm guessing that most of us who do proof reading I at least halfway decent spellers. Use a dictionary for most of it and the words you don't recognize ask somebody to read off and spell for you. It might not be efficient but if you don't mind me asking Roger are you visually impaired or blind? If not it might be difficult for you to understand where we are coming from. What might seem highly efficient to you may prove to be far more inefficient for us in the end because we are used to relying on our hearing to a higher degree than most cited people are. We tend to pay attention more than not and we also tend to notice things at the time far more quickly than others who aren't as used to using their hearing and other senses. For me as a deaf blind person it's a little bit different than it is for just a blind person. Does this make any kind of sense?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:46 PM, Ixchel<starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Maybe so but some of the Google books are images that's not readable.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:34 PM, Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I think I understand what is being talked about now, but it doesn't seem like something that would be very efficient. How, for example, could you get the spelling of a word from an audio book? I think Google books is a better option.

On 6/4/2012 10:30 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Roger,

If, for example, NLS has a copy of a book recorded, or someone has purchased an audiobook from audible.com, but they were proofreading that same book to add to the Bookshare collection, they could listen to the mp3 to hear what
missing words in a scan should be.

It'd be, in my opinion, very tedious to find particular text in an audiobook to compare, but sometimes, you've gotta do what you gotta do to get the job
done.

It's the audible option for a blind person, where a sighted proofreader could checkout a copy of a print book from their library to compare the
scanned text and fix scanning errors.

Does that help, or did I just totally muddy the waters?

Mayrie