[bksvol-discuss] P D James book request and thanks

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:36:39 -0500

Dear Bookshare Volunteers,

Tomorrow I'm going to see the movie, Children of Men which Fandango says is based on a book by P. D. James. As far as my search can tell, we don't have this book in the collection. If anyone is interested in scanning it, I'd be glad to validate or be just as glad if someone else wants to validate it.

The movie summary says it's a near future story about a world where the youngest citizen, an 18 year old has just died and there is an infertility crisis. A bureaucrat is brought to a pregnant woman. he attempts to take her to a place where she can have her baby in safety and scientists might discover why she alone was able to become pregnant.

One of the first books I downloaded and read from Bookshare was an Adam Dalgliesh mystery, and I just downloaded 6 more that I haven't read yet. We also have a P. D. James book about a woman detective's first case, but I didn't know James had written speculative fiction. If the movie is too violent, I'll be in the lobby reading a bookshare download on my braille note. For some reason I can read books which are too intense for me in movie form, and, I almost always prefer the book to the movie because there are more details in the book and I'm not missing anything by not being able to see the screen.

As I was downloading, I noticed some names of volunteers who did the scanning so thanks to Jane, Kaitlyn, Rick Carrie and others who worked on these books.

Always with love,

Lissi