[bksvol-discuss] Re: OCR software

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:58:24 -0400

ABBY FineReader is my OCR of choice.  I used Kurzweil for a couple of books,
but have gone back to FineReader.  I use version 7.0.  I tried the trial
version of version 8, but didn't find enough changes in how it scans text to
make it worth the upgrade for me.  However, I know there are others on this
list who use FR8 and perhaps they can comment better about that version.

FR7 has hot keys for scan, scan continuous, stop scan, recognize, and
recognize continuous.  It's also very easy to use the tools menu to set
options for scanning.  What it doesn't do well is read back the text that
has been scanned and recognized.  I have to save it as an RTF file and then
pull it up in Word or some other program to read the text.  I don't find
this to be a hardship and well worth the effort for the quality of scan I
get.

I am not a proficient user of OmniPage, so can't compare the two for you.  I
did fool around with some version of OmniPage and found it too difficult to
navigate using JAWS to encourage me to continue playing with it, but perhaps
I just gave up too soon.

I'm curious to check out www.readingmadeeasy.com suggested by Sharon.  I've
not heard of this one.

Good luck, and as Cindy said, this is very on-topic.

Donna