[bksvol-discuss] OCR software

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:44:05 -0700

Sorry 2 b contributing 2 the glut of messages on this list--the only
thing I can say on my behalf is at least it's on topic, or at least I
think it is.

My current OCR software is omnipage 14.  Aside from the fact that it's
getting old now, it has some fairly significant accessibility issues,
e.g., a lot of things cannot be done from the keyboard, &, being lazy,
I really don't feel like writing a bunch of scripts.

I'd like to b able 2 afford something like Kurzweil, however, that's
major league $$$ & my $$$ won't even make the minor league.  I noticed
that ABBYY fine reader has a competitive upgrade for $89.  Has any1
used this software, &, if blind, how accessible do u find it? How
accurate is it?  Has any1 done a comparison between it & Omnipage 14?
I got a demo & it seemed like there were a lot more hotkeys than in
Omnipage but 15 days doesn't really give a lot of time, especially if
u don't use it every day.

Any help appreciated, &, if this is not on topic, please let me know.
--
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: