[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need some pointers!

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:46:18 -0500

When you see a yucky character, or character string that you know doesn't
belong anywhere in a book you are scanning, copy it and paste it in to your
search box, and replace it with nothing.  If there are characters or strings
you find all the time in many books, you could make a file containing a list
of them to remind you to search and erase them.  I frequently search for the
following junk characters

^ ~ \ | < >

Bullets, degrees and yen signs are also characters I find where they are not
wanted, but I would be careful to make sure the bullets didn't belong before
deleting them.
I also search for occurences of more than one space.  If I have read the
book already I will just replace multiple spaces with one space.  If not
reading the book it would probably be best to look for multiple spaces and
delete them, and the unnecessary return, or junk characters that usually
follow them.

This reminds me that my Kurzweil frequently does something that really
drives me nuts.  That is rattle off a lot of garble after encountering a
backslash while reading continuously.  It says something like backslash m r
k = some numbers and on and on until I stop it and delete or go past the
backslash.  Does anyone know anything about this strange behavior?

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net