[bksvol-discuss] Re: Italics

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:50:37 -0400

MessageHi Kim,

Commendations on adding those accent marks, and  resisting the urge to fix the
misprints. I know that the temptation to do so can be nearly irresistible. I've
encountered that temptation on many occasions, so I feel your pain when having
to let those pass uncorrected.

However, I was uncomfortable while reading your description of how you modified
the text of the Scholz story. The author had his reasons for using, or not
using, punctuation in a certain way. That was the style in which he chose to
write the story. It is not up to us to help readers understand what the author
intended, or alter the author's style because we think it will make it more
readable, particularly when the alterations were based on "impressions",
guesses, of what the author meant. It is our responsibility to preserve the
author's style. Copy editing is not a part of the proofreading process. Most
importantly, it is a violation of our volunteer agreement to alter the text.

Evan